We are delighted to inform you that our school is currently working with Carers Trust 4all to raise awareness and support Young Carers within Cheshire West and Chester. Carers Trust4all are the commissioned service in Cheshire West and Chester to support Young Carers.
Who are Young Carers?
A young carer is a young person who cares for a family member such as mum, dad, brother, sister or grandparents who suffer with a physical disability, poor ill health, learning disability, mental health, or substance and alcohol misuse.
What do Young Carers do?
Young Carers take on a number of tasks for the person they care for.
- Practical tasks, such as cleaning, cooking, shopping, general upkeep of the housework.
- Personal care, such as helping with toileting, washing, showering/bathing, and getting dressed.
- Emotional support, such as listening and being someone to offload to.
- Administering or helping someone to remember to take their medication.
- Financial support, such as paying bills, helping manage money etc.
- Sibling Care
- Communication support such as sign language, interpreting letters.
Impacts of being young carer
- Lower grades than their peers if young carers miss time in school
- Poor confidence and self esteem
- Emotional impacts, worry and stress
- Stigma of being a young carer may result in bullying
- Missed opportunities, not being able to do things other children are doing
What we are doing to support young carers
- We have had a special assembly to help identify any young carers and to reduce the stigma
- Regular drop In sessions where young carers can come and chat about their caring role
We are currently working on gaining a Young Carers in School Award which pledges our support to young carers.
Who to talk to?
Mr. A. Carr
(Young Carers School Lead)
Mr. S. Webster
(Young Carers Operational Lead)
Mr Carr and Mr Webster are the dedicated young carer support in school, come and chat with them if you think you may be a young carer!
Feel free to pop in and chat to us.
Drop In Sessions
Nicola Webster will be holding regular drop in sessions for young carers in the Sanctuary at lunch time.
Young Carers Message Box
There is a message box in the Sanctuary for students to leave a message in if they think they may be a young carer, have any questions or worries.
Local Young Carers Service
Carers Trust 4all
Phone: 0333 323 1990