This is a vocationally-related qualification that takes an engaging, practical and inspiring approach to learning and assessment. The Cambridge Nationals in Science will equip you with secure, specialist scientific knowledge and skills for everyday use. This qualification will challenge you and provide you with the skills to develop your independence and creativity in addition to developing transferable skills for future study or the workplace, for example, the ability to analyse, and evaluate Scientific evidence and concepts.
What will you study?
The course is built around the real life situations and experiences that young people face in everyday life, making what you learn useful, interesting and relevant. Practical, hands on activities underpin our approach to scientific study both within and outside the laboratory.
|Portfolio of Assignments 50% - How scientific ideas have an impact on our lives (assessed through the completion of 9 tasks) 50%
Written External Exam Paper 25% - How scientific ideas have developed.
Practical Investigation 25% - Who Scientists test their ideas.
How will you be assessed?
- 50% Portfolio of Assignments
- 25% External exam
- 25% Practical investigation
What skills will you develop?
- The ability to make informed decisions about issues related to the environment and land-based sector, that involve science.
- Time management and organisational skills when
- The ability to make both scientific and ethical judgements about the impact of science on society and the environment.
- Skills required, to critically evaluate, data and make conclusions.
- ICT skills required, to research, present and organise information in a portfolio.
Future pathways available post 16
- Cambridge National in Science in the work place
- Then on to a Level 3 vocational qualification.
- Alternatively students can progress to a GCSE in Applied or Additional Science before advancing to GCE Applied Science Level 3