SEN Team

SENCO / Assistant Head: Mr A Carr
SPLD: Mrs D Whiteside
Family Support Worker: Mr S Webster
Sanctuary: Miss J Fisher
Sanctuary: Mr J Jones
Sanctuary: Mrs S Macintosh
Sanctuary: Miss L Staff
Sanctuary: Mrs J Dunn
Teaching Assistant: Mrs C Dalby
Teaching Assistant: Miss D Perry

SEN Information Report

The class teacher

Responsible for

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.
  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s SEN provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

The SENCO/: Mrs E Doughty

Responsible for

Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy.

Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)

Ensuring that you are

  1. i) Involved in supporting your child’s learning
  2. ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

iii) Involved in reviewing how they are doing.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Head teacher: Mrs R Hudson

Responsible for

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

School contact telephone number: 01244 371475

We provide effective interventions for students with a variety of needs;

SLD (Severe Learning Difficulty)
MLD (Moderate Learning Difficulty)
SpLD (Specific Learning Difficulty)
SLCN (Speech, Language or Communication Need)
C&L (Cognitive and Learning)
SEMH (Social, Emotional and Mental Health)
ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder)
Visual Impairment

Consulting parents and young people / assessing and reviewing progress towards outcomes

  • SEN passport meeting with SENCo, parent and student.
  • Meeting with SENCo prior to parents evening.
  • Other meeting with SENCo or other staff as required.
  • Review assessment after each data catch

Approaches used when teaching young people with SEN

  • Differentiation
  • quality first teaching
  • aspirational target grades
  • fully inclusive school

Support for improving emotional and social development

  • Pastoral system
  • Family support
  • Attachment friendly school
  • school mentors
  • Passport for learning

a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work

Intervention which may be

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

  • Local Authority central services, such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen?

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support .
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to:

  • Your child’s form tutor
  • Your child’s progress leader
  • The schools SENCo

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child

The school budget, received from the LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN.

The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.

The Head Teacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including

  • the children getting extra support already,
  • the children needing extra support,
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed.

The school identifies the needs of SEN pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

School provision

  • Teachers responsible for teaching SEN pupils.
  • Teaching Assistants mainly working with either individual children or small groups.
  • Family Support worker offering support for children who are feeling emotional.

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy assessments when required
  • School Nurse

The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AoT) service.

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class.

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her subject teacher every half term.

His/her progress will be reviewed formally every half term in each subject.

The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENCo and other members of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is good.

The form tutor, progress leader is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal progress targets will be reviewed with your involvement every term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

a) If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The SENCo will visit your child’s primary school to discuss your child with the class teacher and the SENCo.
  • Your child will be able to visit our school for transition sessions, if this is appropriate.

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

For those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer:

  • Family Support work
  • School Mentor
  • Social Skills

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCo will access further support through the TAF process.

What interventions may my son/daughter be receiving?

Lexia: Lexia Reading™ enables students of all ages and abilities to master essential reading skills.

That Reading Thing: This is a course which has been written specifically for pupils who struggle with reading. It assists them to build up and break down words into syllables and to widen their reading material.

Vocabulary Enrichment Programme: A programme recommended by SALT. The focus of the programme is to enhance the understanding and to facilitate the expression of a wide range of basic and relevant concepts, meaning and vocabulary (words) in students with varied SLCN in schools. (SLCN : specific speech, language and communication difficulties)

SPLD: This intervention will assist students to improve their spelling, handwriting and reading skills.

Mentoring: This programme will be personalised according to the needs of the students.

SALT: A programme which will assist students to improve their working memory and to improve their vocabulary choices.

Social Skills: A programme designed to assist students to improve their social interaction with peers and adults around them.

Complaints Process

  • Contact SENCo (Mr A Carr)
  • Contact Headteacher (Mrs R Hudson)